The Flex Drive Program allows drivers to rent cars from Lyft, including electric vehicles (Kia Niro EV).
This educational outreach session with drivers covered a range of topics, from cost savings from renting an EV versus using a gas car, benefits of EVs, range and where/how to charge around Colorado using Lyft’s free unlimited fast charging that comes with the rental. The team also was able to promote Drive Electric Colorado as an EV resource for drivers.
“EV awareness is an essential part of EV adoption, and the more Lyft riders that experience a trip in an EV means more familiarity and increased interest in owning their own. Training drivers to be EV ambassadors is an important part of Lyft’s Flex Drive program and Drive Electric Colorado can be a key resource for that education,” Julia Davila, Associate Project Manager at Drive Electric Colorado, said.
This event aligned with not only DE-CO goals but Lyft’s commitment to reach 100% EVs on the Lyft platform by 2030.
“Electric vehicles offer lower fuel and maintenance costs, and positively impact our environment and communities,” Julie Harrigan, Regional Director for Lyft in Colorado, said. “Thanks to our partnership with Denver Metro Clean Cities on the Drive Electric Colorado event, we’ve had the opportunity to educate more drivers on these benefits and even saw drivers switch to EVs that day!”
Lyft driver focus groups in Denver have uncovered a great opportunity to support drivers excited about EVs; some of the feedback from the focus groups included:
- Renters said the EV was the best car they’ve ever driven on the Lyft platform.
- Drivers agreeing they would be more likely to consider purchasing an EV after renting one.
- The large majority of renters stated “cost savings” as the reason for renting an EV.
- Drivers overwhelmingly agreed EV sparks conversations with the riders. “Riders really open up in conversation,” one group member said.
- One driver summed it up best when she said, “I don’t know how I’ll ever go back to a regular car. I’m in love with it.”
DE-CO will continue to support Lyft’s efforts to electrify its platform and look forward to more opportunities to educate and empower drivers in the transition to EVS.