Drive Electric Colorado presents an EVs in Colorado report. Using data from the Colorado Energy Office’s EV Dashboard and the Alternative Fueling Station Locator from the U.S. Department of Energy, Drive Electric Colorado provides the most current and accurate sales data for EVs and charging data by county, make/model and electric vehicle type.
As of January 1, 2022, there were 49,271 EVs on the road in Colorado, up from 39,415 EVs since August 1, 2021. Of this total, 34,641 were battery electric vehicles (BEV) and 14,630 were plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV).
Key points from the most current data since January 1, 2022:
- Electric car sales were up 25% (+9,856 EVs) from August 1, 2021
- Top-selling electric car makes:
There are currently 3,961 total charging ports available in Colorado, up 303 ports from August 1, 2021. Within this total, 3,361 of these are Level 2 chargers, and 600 of these are Level 3/DC fast chargers.
The ChargePoint network owns most of these Level 2 ports (1,837), and Tesla owns the most DC fast charger ports (259).
From quarter 2 of 2021 (January 4 – June 3), there was an average of 1,027 active charging stations with 149,507 hours of charging over 81,259 charging sessions. This information has not been updated since the date of the last report.
Breaking it down by county and vehicle model, here are the top models and top counties where they are sold:
- 7,554 electric vehicles (5,626 BEVs and 1,928 PHEVs)
- 80 EV models
- Highest number of Nissans: 1,950
- Highest number of Fiats: 80
- Highest number of Volkswagens: 78
- Highest number of Toyotas: 392
- 7,759 electric vehicles (5,444 BEVs and 2,315 PHEVs)
- 80 EV models
- Highest number of Teslas: 3,486
- Highest number of BMWs: 445
- Highest number of Volvos: 338
- Highest number of Audis: 302
- Highest number of Mitsubishis: 146
- Highest number of Minis: 109
- Highest number of Ford: 277
- 6,116 electric vehicles (4,360 BEVs and 1,756 PHEVs)
- 82 EV models
- Highest number of Chevrolets: 703
- Highest number of Chryslers (PHEV): 62
- Highest number of Hondas: 53
- 5,474 electric vehicles (4,008 BEVs and 1,466 PHEVs)
- 78 EV models
- Highest number of Kias: 267